The Checkmate Chess Club and the Friend of the Westbank Libraries is proud to present the Second Annual Scholastic Chess Tournament at the Laura Bush Community Library on Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. All proceeds benefit Library programs and THREE high school senior scholarships!
A ratings-based tournament with Scholastic and Open Sections available.
5SS scholastic tournament for youth rated under 1100 - trophies and top medals to top finishers.
4SS open section for all adults and youth rated over 1000 with cash prizes.
Scholastic entries limited to the first 80.
Open Section Information:
An Open Section will be available for all adults and for scholastic players who are rated over 1000 in the May 2013 Supplement. The Open Section will be 4 rounds with cash prizes awarded. All rounds will be G/40 with a 5 second delay. Open Section will be divided by rating into multiple sections, with sufficient entries.
- $25 entry fee by March 31, 2013
- $30 entry fee by May 4, 2013
- $35 entry fee by May 11, 2013 or onsite.
Scholastic Section Information:
The Scholastic Section is a 5 round regular rated Swiss-system tournament open to all players K-12, rated below 1100, with trophies and medals awarded to top finishers. On the day of the tournament, the list of players will be divided into 3 sections based upon ability, i.e. rating. Each scholastic sub-section will have between 15 & 30 participants. Each participant should be playing against players of a very similar strength, within 300 rating points. The May 2013 supplement will be used to determine ratings. All rounds will be G/25 with a 5 second delay.
Scholastic entries limited to first 80 PAID players.
- $15 entry fee by February 28, 2013
- $20 entry fee by March 31, 2013
- $25 entry fee by May 4, 2013
- $30 entry fee by May 11 or onsite
This will be a Swiss-system tournament, so everyone plays all day—there is no “elimination.” Players must know how to play the game of chess! We will follow USCF rules including: touch-move, mandatory clocks if available, and notation. All participants will be encouraged to take notation.
- 9:00 a.m. Library doors open.
- 9:05 a.m. Round 1 pairings posted.
- 9:00-9:15 a.m. On-site registration. Pay on-site fees, plus USCF dues if needed. All onsite entries will receive a half-point bye for Round 1.
- 9:00 – 9:15 a.m. Problem desk open. Any remaining pre-registration problems should be addressed at this time. Pre-registrations should be verified in advance. No check-in is necessary for pre-registrations. We will make every attempt to contact you in advance if we see a problem with your registration. Unpaid entries will not be paired for round 1.
- 9:15 a.m. Important announcements in the Tournament Room about the Scholastic tournament. All players should be present.
- 9:15 a.m. Open section begins. Open has 4 rds, G/40, 5 second delay.
- 9:30 a.m. First Scholastic round begins. This is a Swiss-system tournament, so everyone plays all day; there is no “elimination.” Scholastic sections have 5 rounds, Game/25, 5 second delay. Rounds 2-5 will follow ASAP.
- 3:30 p.m.(approx.) Awards for Scholastic Sections.
- 4:00 p.m. Library closes!
There will be some “down time” between rounds since many games will finish early. The Library(outside the tournament room) and outside courtyard areas will be available for casual “skittles” chess and/or other indoor activities. Parents, please provide age-appropriate activities during the time between rounds. You are responsible for your players between games! The organizers cannot baby-sit. No child should be left unattended!
The Friends of the Library will be selling food and drinks. All proceeds will benefit Library programs and scholarships! Please pick up your own trash and clean up your own spills.
Both scholastic and open sections are USCF dual-rated and require a valid USCF membership for participation. Your USCF membership may not expire before 5/31/13. USCF memberships can be renewed/purchased at check-out.
Email Lori Balkum, registrar with question or call 512-417-9008.
Onine registration available until we have 80 players in the scholastic section. After that time, please contact the registrar to be placed on the waiting list.
Make checks payable to "Friends of the Westbank Library".
Mail checks to: PO Box 1386, Round Rock, TX 78680.
Cash, checks, and credit cards accepted onsite, if space is still available.
Organized by the Checkmate Chess Club and Friends of the Westbank Libraries.